Hospital leadership and community leaders cut the ribbon for the newly renovated ED. Left to right: Al Rios, hospital Governing Board member; Norma Aguirre, president, East Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce; Alex Villalobos, East Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce; Rick Rufino, hospital chief executive officer; Andrei Soran, CEO Pipeline Health; Dr. James De La Torre, hospital chief of staff and medical director of the ED; Sam Arellano, hospital Governing Board member.
East Los Angeles Doctors Hospital celebrated its newly renovated Emergency Department (ED) July 28th with a festive ribbon-cutting and picnic lunch for employees, physicians and community guests.
More than 100 hospital employees and physicians, along with local first responders and community representatives, enjoyed a brief outdoor ceremony followed by a picnic lunch of grilled hamburgers and all the trimmings.
The ED renovation encompasses the hospital’s eight emergency rooms, emergency lobby and support areas. The facility is scheduled to open for patient care early in August.
The renovation is part of the hospital’s ongoing investment and revitalization initiative designed to enhance patient care and operational efficiency. The 127-bed safety net hospital has served the East Los Angeles community since 1958.
“The renovation of our Emergency Department improves patient flow, processing, and our delivery of quality patient care,” said Rick Rufino, chief executive officer of East Los Angeles Doctors Hospital. “Through the renovation we were able to incorporate the latest design techniques that improve patient throughput and treatment.”
The transformative renovations include:
- Integration of lean design techniques that improve patient flow and throughput throughout the patient stay.
- Installation of additional waiting room cameras to improve incoming patient flow and visual observation of patient status during the intake process.
- Enhanced lighting for improved visibility and promote faster recovery time.
- A state-of-the-art patient monitoring system and in-room monitors for improved patient oversight.
- New next level of care patient beds designed for optimal patient comfort and therapeutic care.
- Integration of the latest acuity-based patient streaming process that expedites patient triage and delivery of care.
Ultimately, the renovations improve accessibility for both patients and clinical and support staff within the Emergency Department. The improved accessibility results in better patient care and safety. The renovation also includes a dedicated EMS and ambulatory staff lounge. The new lounge provides first responders a dedicated space for breaks between patient pickup and transportation.
“East Los Angeles Doctors Hospital plays a critical role in Los Angeles’ healthcare delivery system,” Rufino said. “Our mission is to provide the care and services our community not only needs, but also deserves—and we’ve been doing that for decades.”
East Los Angeles Doctors Hospital is part of the Pipeline Health system. The hospital is located at 4060 Whittier Blvd. in Los Angeles.